Stewards of the Land

The original stewards of the land were Mary and Charles Pratt and their family. They came to Ojai after hearing of the wonderfully healing properties of the land and envioronment. Charles Pratt, founder of the Pratt Institute, an art and design school in New York City, merged his company, Astral Oil, with John D. Rockefeller's oil company which, together, became Standard Oil. Upon moviong to Ojai, Charles built the Foothill Retreat and Hotel where east coasters would come to be rejuvenated. He also contributed money for the building of the Ojai Library as well as may other civic buildings and social initiatives in the Ojai Valley. Around 1909 Charles Pratt hired the most prominent architects of the time, Greene & Greene, to create an Arts and Crafts-styled bungalow of signigficant expance in rural Ojai, CA. The Pratts called the house "Casa Barranca".

The Casa Barranca Estate and Winery are not open to the public.